Vacancy: Business Development SpecialistAnke Weisheit
MBARARA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY P. O. BOX 1410, MBARARA, UGANDA World Bank Eastern and Southern Africa Higher Education Center of Excellence (ACE II) in Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine (PHARMBIOTRAC)
Business Development Specialist
The Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine Centre (PHARMBIOTRAC) is one of the 24 Eastern and Southern Africa Higher Education Centres of Excellence (ACE II) Programs. PHARMBIOTRAC is established at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) since 2017, with the financial support from the World Bank.
The Goal of PHARMBIOTRAC is “to build a critical mass of specialized and skilled human resource that can advance traditional medicine and pharm-biotechnology for socio-economic development of Africa.”
The Vision is “to be a leading Africa Center of Excellence for training and research in traditional medicine and pharm-biotechnology.”
The Mission is “to contribute to documentation, validation and value chain development of traditional medicine and biotechnology products for use in pharmaceutical and nutraceuticals industries in the region through training, research and community services for sustainable development”.
The Specific Objectives include to:
- strengthen capacity in the region to train highly skilled and specialized professionals in traditional medicine and bio-pharmaceuticals
- strengthen capacity in the region to engage in cutting edge research in traditional medicine and systems biology for health products development
- create capacity in collaboration with private sector industry for development, production and commercialization of traditional medicines, biopharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals from research outputs
- advance the practices of traditional medicine in the region and promote domestication and sustainable utilization of medicinal species.
PHARMBIOTRAC has recently been awarded by the World Bank/Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) to host the Regional Incubation Center. The focus is “Strengthening incubation of traditional medicines and biopharmaceuticals at Mbarara University of Science and Technology Regional Center for Innovations and Technology Transfer.” Specifically, the aim is to support innovators with ideas in traditional medicine to conceptualize, develop and test their products for commercialization.
PHARMBIOTRAC is therefore looking for self-motivated, dynamic and ethically upright individuals to fill the position below based at its incubation laboratory located at Kihumuro Campus, MUST.
- Job Title: Business Development Specialist
Organization: Mbarara University of Science and Technology
Position: Contractual (12 months, renewable upon performance)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Remuneration: Attractive Package
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess financial projections and business plans of the Incubation center,
- Evaluate the business expansion needs and start-up for the incubation center,
- Collect accurate data from ratio analysis, trends, cash flows, income statements and balance sheets based on the suggestions proffered by clients,
- Liaise with any program gendered towards business development by the incubation center in provision of technical assistance to clients, including market plans, business evaluation, projected cash flows and financial pro-formas,
- Relate with clients for service delivery in line with the incubation center terms and conditions,
- Make recommendations to management regarding necessary changes to the incubation centre’s policies that can affect how clients accept products,
- Teach and coordinate groups involved in technical assistance education,
- Track service outcome and delivery in the database prepared for each client,
- Record appropriately time expended on communication with client in the database for the particular client,
- Work together with customers and members of staff of the incubation center in promoting the centre’s values and ethics,
- Get involved in all projects of the centre for the accomplishment of centers’ strategies and goals,
- Get involved in meetings involving business technical team of the centre.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Should hold a master’s degree in business administration, business management, accounting, finance, marketing and other related fields of study.
- Should hold a bachelor’s degree in business administration/ commerce/ Statistics or related field,
- Should have full professional qualifications like CIMA, ACCA or CPA,
- Having a minimum of 5 years working experience in fields relating directly to business coaching, business consulting, and financial analysis in a busy firm/ organization is essential; e.g. familiar with World Bank and Government Accounting guidelines and procedures of financial management and reporting,
- Computer literacy e.g. experience in use of Microsoft office applications i.e. word, excel, access and professional accounting packages are essential.
The applicant should have:
- Good understanding of general business procedures, including sales and marketing, operations, inbound logistics, Information Technology, human resources, and business financing
- Excellent understanding of tools for financial evaluation, such as the break-even points, cash flows, and rations
- Good writing skills required for presentation and preparation of accurate oral and well-written summaries of the company’s financial analysis
- Ability to operate computer programs related to financial analysis
- Ability to produce effective and clear communication, both written and verbal
- Should be very innovative and creative
- Ability to Multi-Task
- the ability to work for long hours, at times during evenings and weekends;
- excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player;
- high level of organizational skills and able to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Flexibility and be proactive in approach to work;
- ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability and willingness to learn the World Bank and government procedures;
- Excellent writing, reporting and interpersonal skills;
- Age Range: 30-50 years.
How to Apply:
a) Application letter,
b) Copies of relevant academic/professional transcripts & certificates,
c) Detailed curriculum vitae,
d) Names and addresses of three professional referees,
e) Applicant’s physical address, telephone contact, and email address; and
f) Any other relevant information supporting your application.
Submit your application per email (as a single pdf file) or hard copy to: The University Secretary, Mbarara University of Science and Technology, P.O. Box 1410, Mbarara, Uganda. Application Deadline: Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
PDF version of this advert (817kb)
——– End of Advert ——–