PHARMBIOTRAC Accelerator Program (PAP) Call 2020Anke Weisheit
PHARMBIOTRAC Accelerator Program (PAP) Call 2020
The Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine Centre (PHARMBIOTRAC) is one of the 24 Eastern and Southern Africa Higher Education Centers of Excellence (ACE II) Program and established at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) in 2017 with the financial support from the World Bank.
The main objective of PHARMBIOTRAC is to build a critical mass of specialized and skilled human resource that can advance traditional medicine and Pharm-Biotechnology for socio-economic development of Africa, and the specific objectives include to;
- Strengthen capacity in the region to train highly skilled and specialized professionals in traditional medicine and Bio-pharmaceuticals,
- Strengthen capacity in the region to engage in cutting edge research in TM and systems biology for health products development,
- Create capacity in collaboration with private sector industry for development, production and commercialization of TM, biopharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals from research outputs,
- To Advance the practices of TM/TMK in the region and promote domestication and sustainable utilization of medicinal species.
PHARMBIOTRAC has recently been awarded by the World Bank/ Inter-University Council of East Africa (IUCEA) to host the Regional Incubation Centre to focus on “Strengthening incubation of traditional medicines and biopharmaceuticals at Mbarara University of Science and Technology Regional Centre for Innovations and Technology Transfer” and specifically supporting innovators with ideas in traditional medicine conceptualize, develop and test their products for commercialization. In partnership with the Consortium for Affordable Medical Technologies (CAMTech) Uganda, successful applicants/ innovators will therefore, be taken through a step by step innovations-ecosystem that will lead them to the commercialization of their products/services.
PHARMBIOTRAC is therefore pleased to announce a PHARMBIOTRAC Accelerator Program Call 2020 (PAP 2020) for proposals. The purpose of this call is for teams/individuals with products/ services in line with the thematic areas below to apply for this incubatees program. At some stage, through a competitive process, incubatees will compete for seed grants to help them implement their prior set project milestones/activities.
Thematic areas of this call:
- Traditional / Herbal medicines
- Natural Cosmetics
- Natural (herbal) Health drinks
- Any other area closely related to the above
The awardees (incubatees) will receive the following support from the PHARMBIOTRAC Accelerator Program to accelerate their innovations to commercialization:
- Each project will be incubated in the ACEII Incubator for ongoing in-person support,
- Training in business plan development, financial management of grants and reporting,
- Participation in workshops to equip teams with the necessary skills in grant writing and business plan development,
- Assistance in planning of project activities to be carried out throughout the grant period
- Getting guidance on;
- Filing for Intellectual Property of your innovation,
- Company incorporation,
- National Drug Authority regulations, Bureau of Standards requirements / other regulatory requirements in respective countries
- Applying for protocol approvals such as the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and Uganda National Council for Science and Technology (UNCST) / its equivalent in other countries.
- Access to the MUST facilities (e.g. laboratories facilities, PHARMBIOTRAC production lab, CAM Tech Co-creation lab, Business Clinic etc.).
- Gaining publicity for your innovation and providing a wide range of peer-to-peer engagement opportunities.
Interested teams/individuals are invited to fill and submit this form.
Eligibility: Nationals from Uganda and all other African countries
Condition of participation: The programme is free of tuition fees (Training, workshops, facility access…) but each participant are responsible for their upkeep, visa and transportation during residential sessions.
Submission of Application: Fill the attached Application form and submit it as an attachment and with the subject of the email should be PAP 2020 application Last name of the team leader e.g. “PAP2020 application SURNAME”to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 15th February 2020
For any inquiries, please contact us: email@example.com Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be notified and if you have not received communication from us by 20th February 2020, your application was not successful at this time. Feel free to apply during the next call.
Feel free to visit the following website: